The Winterthur Museum purchased the original sideboard in 1988 at a Sotheby’s auction of decorative arts and fine arts. The purchase was from the estate of pop artist, Andy Warhol. This majestic sideboard was probably first owned by Rebecca Gratz (1781-1869) of Philadelphia and is attributed to cabinetmaker Joseph B. Barry. Kindel has adapted this sideboard from the massive original in The Empire Dining Room at Winterthur. The classical motifs of the reeded columns with acanthus leaf capitals, the lion's paw feet and inset foliated panels are all hand carved. The unusual lion's head drawer pulls are solid brass reproductions. Beneath the center drawer that is fitted with a silver tray, is a mirrored back panel. The gothic-arched doors lock.
As Shown: Finished in Winterthur, High (27)
View the rest of the